Authorities still assessing why California shooter snapped

Investigators are still trying to piece together what led a former Marine to open fire at a Thousand Oaks country music bar last week, killing 12 people before fatally shooting himself.

Authorities haven’t publicly shared what motive they think might have led 28-year-old Ian Long to snap late Wednesday night.

Ventura County Sheriff's Sgt. Eric Buschow says “an investigation of this magnitude takes time, and it's not something that we're going to piecemeal out along the way. People are going to have to be patient."

The Borderline Bar and Grill remained roped off with crime tape. People stopped by a nearby memorial for victims, which includes 12 large white crosses with every victim's name on them.

In the meantime, a federal official briefed on the investigation told The Associated Press that Long had posted to social media at least twice during the shooting. According to the official, who wasn’t authorized to discuss the investigation publicly and spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity, the posts were three minutes apart.

The first said that others would guess why he committed the attack, and his answer was: "life is boring so why not?" The second post discussed people judging whether he was sane.

Both Facebook and Instagram have scrubbed Long's accounts from their public platforms.

 

Dawn Kamber